Apple M1 Silicon-based 13″ MacBook Air, 13″ MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini launched
Apple has unveiled its first Macs running on the new Apple Silicon through a live event, streamed from Apple Park, Cupertino. The new arrivals include a 13-inch MacBook Air, a 13-inch MacBook Pro, and a Mac Mini. The company divulged plenty of details about the ARM-based chips, as we were expecting. After all, this is its first foray into an in-house PC processor, after a 15-year reliance on Intel.
So, without any further ado, let’s see the announcements made by Apple at its keynote event.
Apple M1 Specs
- Apple M1 is the first SoC developed in-house for Mac.
- It is a 5nm Unified memory architecture housing CPU, GPU, Cache, DRAM, Cache, Neural engine, etc. It packs 16 billion transistors.
- It consists of World’s fastest CPU (8 cores: 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores). Even each efficiency core is said to deliver speeds similar to the current dual-core MacBook Air, but with better power efficiency.
- M1 also boasts the best CPU performance per watt. (2x compared to competing PC chip *cough* Intel *cough*). Expect better single-threaded gains.
- The 8-core iGPU is also “the most advanced graphics processor” Apple has ever created.” We hope so.
- The SoC also holds the 16-core Neural Engine with 11 trillion operations per second.
- Other hardware thingies it offers include — Secure Enclave and Thunderbolt / USB4.
ALSO READ: Xbox Series S available via Amazon India while Series X allegedly not in stock
Big Sur Optimizations
- Instant boot, wake from sleep, and app launch like an iPhone or iPad.
- Thanks to Unified memory architecture, apps get better access to graphics memory.
- Speaking of universal, the new Universal apps will work simultaneously on Apple Silicon and Intel. This includes big names like Adobe Lightroom (next month), Photoshop (early next year). This employs Rosetta 2 translation.
- Apple also highlights less fan noise, better battery life, Hardware-verified secure boot, automatic high-performance encryption, macOS run-time protections.
ALSO READ: How to stop others from controlling media playback on your Chromecast or Android TV
Apple 13″ MacBook Air
The 13″ Apple MacBook Air starts at ₹92,900 for the 256GB model and ₹1,42,900 for the 512GB variant.
Apple Mac Mini
The Apple Mac Mini costs ₹64,900 for the 256GB variant and ₹84,900 for the bigger 512GB model.
Apple 13″ MacBook Pro
The all-new Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro price starts at ₹1,22,900 for the 256GB storage unit and ₹1,42,900 for the larger 512GB model.
You can order all the three new products running on the M1 chip starting today. And they will be available next week. Big Sur software will be out on November 12.